Let’s be honest – the news headlines were flooded with snippets from Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey, which aired in the early hours of Monday morning. And if you haven’t had the chance to watch it (nor do you have the time as it is 86 minutes long), we’re here to break down what was said – some you might’ve expected and some not.
Here are our top 10 takeaways from *the* interview…
- Meghan and Harry actually got married before the aired wedding we all tuned in to see. The couple got married three days before the “spectacle for the world”, and they revealed that the vows from the intimate ceremony have been “framed” in their home.
“We called the archbishop, and we just said, ‘Look, this thing, this spectacle is for the world, but we want our union between us,” Meghan recalled. Prince Harry later confirmed that it was “just the three” of them, with no other friends or family present.
- Last week, Prince Harry revealed to James Corden that he had been suffering from mental health due to the criticism in the media towards him and particularly, his wife. However, during the interview with Oprah, Meghan shared that she had suffered with severe mental health issues while she was pregnant with Archie, during her time as a senior working royal.
“It was all happening just because I was breathing,” Meghan said. “I just didn’t want to be alive any more. That was a clear, real, frightening and constant thought.”
- The pair have also confirmed that they had sought help from the Palace, but Meghan was denied any sort of help, leaving her to feel discouraged from leaving the house for months.
“I went to one of the most senior people to get help,” Meghan explained. “And I share this because, there are so many people who are afraid to voice that they need help, and I know how hard it is to not just voice it but to be told no.” She added that she’d felt ashamed of her feelings: “I was really ashamed to say it at the time and ashamed to have to admit it to Harry, especially because I know how much loss he suffered.”
- Adding to how much Prince Harry has suffered, the interview revealed that the Duke actually felt “trapped”. When asked if he would’ve stepped back from his role if he hadn’t met Meghan, answered no.
“The answer to your question is no, [I wouldn’t have left,],” Harry told Oprah. “I wouldn’t have been able to because I myself was trapped. I didn’t see a way out. I was trapped, but I didn’t know I was trapped. But the moment that I met Meg, and our worlds collided in the most amazing of ways and then [I began] to see how trapped within the system, like, the rest of my family are. My father and my brother, they are trapped. They don’t get to leave, and I have huge compassion for that.”
- The Prince also revealed that he has been cut off financially from the royal family.
“My family literally cut me off financially, and I had to afford security for us,” he said. “In the first quarter of 2020, but I’ve got all my mom left me and without that, we wouldn’t have been able to do that. So touching back on you asking what my mom would think of this, I think she saw it coming and I certainly felt her presence throughout that whole process. I’m just really relieved and happy to be sitting here talking to you with my wife by my side because I can’t begin to imagine what it must’ve been like for her going through this process by herself all those years ago. Because it’s been unbelievably tough for the two of us, but at least we have each other…”
- Whilst there was plenty to say about ‘The Firm’, Prince Harry and Meghan still spoke very highly of the Queen.
“The Queen has always been wonderful to me,” Meghan said. “I really loved being in her company.” Harry added that he and the Queen remain close. “I’ve spoken more to my grandmother in the last year than I have [in] many, many years. My grandmother and I have a really good relationship and understanding, and I have deep respect for her.”
- Perhaps the most shocking of all, the couple had revealed there have been concerns over Archie’s skin colour, prior to him being born.
“In those months when I was pregnant, and at the same time there was talk about no title, no security, and also conversations about how dark his skin might be when born,” she said. Following the revelation, Winfrey demanded ‘Who is saying that’, and Meghan wouldn’t answer, because “that would be very damaging to them”.
- As the world knows, Meghan and Harry are expecting their second child and during the interview, they revealed they were having a girl.
Harry said “to have a boy and then a girl, what more can you ask for? But now we’ve got our family. We’ve got the four of us and our two dogs.”
Also, discover this hidden gem in Saudi Arabia.